This volunteer position is in cooperation with City of Sanctuary’s Songs of Sanctuary initiative.
Commitment Required: 2-4 hours p.w.
Areas of Interest: Music, Community
Type of Activity: Community, Music Promotion, Marketing, Database Administration
Recruitment Process: Application form
Crossings builds bridges across racial and cultural divides through music. Our project creates a welcoming space where asylum seekers and refugees come together with local and international musicians, to collaborate on the development and performance of our music. Crossings holds workshops, practices and instrument lessons on Monday and Tuesday evenings each week, excluding school holidays.
City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of hospitality for people seeking sanctuary in the UK. Find out how towns and cities around the UK are becoming recognised as places of safety and welcome. Newcastle upon Tyne was awarded national recognition as a City of Sanctuary in June 2014. Songs of Sanctuary is a steam of the overall project in Newcastle upon Tyne, aiming to promote its message through music in the community.
As a MUSIC PROMOTION ASSISTANT you will assist Crossings with one or more of the following tasks:
* Contact local music promoters and collect information on music events, especially those aimed at diverse or minority audiences
* Update the upcoming ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ online database of events on the City of Sanctuary website
* Coordinate the circulation of emails and texts informing subscribers of future events
* Coordinate a proposed ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ card scheme, to promote the project in communities across Newcastle and provide free or discounted tickets to cardholders at selected events
* Develop the number and range of promoters aware of the project and willing to provide free or discounted tickets to ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ cardholders at selected events
* Contact local community groups, especially those working with asylum seekers and refugees, to distribute ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ cards
* Promote the project to the local press and broadcast media wherever possible
* Raise awareness of the City of Sanctuary project and partner organisations in the sector
Skills and Qualifications: Administration experience is welcomed and an interest in music promotion and asylum seeker/refugee issues is essential.
Age/Gender Restrictions: 18+
Disabled access: Yes
Expenses: Expenses can be provided and discussed in detail at induction
Support on offer: Help and support will always be on offer and an experienced world music promoter will mentor you.
Training External: To be discussed. Opportunities can be considered for training in areas such as music promotion.
Training Internal: Yes.
Directions: 5 minutes walk from Jesmond Metro or 33/33A bus from Osborne Road. Visit www.crossings.org.uk for more information and a map to the rehearsal space.
For more information on this exciting opportunity, please contact Andy Warmington at Skills for People (Key House, Tankerville Place, Jesmond NE2 3AT).
Tel: 07894 746576
Email: [email protected]